Just 1½ Syn for our version of this rich, slow-cooked French favourite!
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 100g back bacon rashers, all visible fat removed, chopped
- 400g small shallots
- 700g stewing beef, all visible fat removed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150ml red wine
- 425ml beef stock
- 1 level tbsp tomato purée
- A sprig of fresh rosemary
- A sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 700g swede, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 50ml vegetable stock
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- A small handful of fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas 4. Place a large frying pan sprayed with low calorie cooking spray over a medium heat. Add the bacon and shallots and fry for 3-4 minutes until starting to brown. Add the beef. Stir-fry for 5-7 minutes over a high heat until browned.
- Stir in the garlic, red wine, stock, tomato purée and herbs. Season, bring to the boil and then transfer to a casserole dish. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, boil the swede for 12-15 minutes until tender. Drain. Add the stock and nutmeg, then season and mash.
- Divide the bourguignon and mash between 4 plates, garnish with parsley and serve.
Tip: To freeze, follow steps 1 to 3. Allow the mash and bourguignon to cool. Put them in separate freezer-proof containers, cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat, defrost overnight in a cool place. Once thawed, transfer to the fridge. To cook, pour the bourguignon into a pan and bring to the boil, stirring. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring, until hot. Transfer the mash to a pan. Stir and cook over a low heat, adding a little extra vegetable stock if needed, for 5 minutes, or until hot. Follow step 4.
* Suitable for freezing
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join by the 22nd July and get your FIRST WEEK FREE! That’s just £10 to pay at your first group – a fabulous saving of £4.95! AND if you join on a 12-week Countdown course you get two free weeks (12 weeks for the price of 10) plus a free copy of our Slimming World's Sweet Dreams recipe book, saving an extra £14.85. After that bring a new member and get a week free.
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
Find your nearest group