Tagines are slow-cooked North African stews and this one offers a sensational blend of tastes, colours and aromas.
- Pinch of saffron
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 red onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 preserved lemons, halved (optional)
- Small handful of finely chopped fresh parsley
- Small handful of finely chopped fresh coriander
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 500ml boiling chicken stock
- 200g passata
- Put the saffron and 2 tablespoons of warm water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Spray a deep, non-stick, lidded frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides (you might need to do this in batches). Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan in a single layer. Mash the garlic with a teaspoon of salt and add to the pan along with the saffron water, ginger, cinnamon, sweet paprika, lemon juice and preserved lemons, if using. Add the parsley and half of the coriander and stir well.
- Arrange the chicken thighs, sweet potatoes and squash on top. Pour the stock and passata into the pan and stir well, then cover tightly and simmer over a low heat for 45-50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Season to taste, scatter over the remaining coriander and serve hot with couscous
Tip: To save time, use two packs of prepared sweet potatoes and butternut squash instead of peeling and chopping them yourself.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join by the 16th December and get your FIRST WEEK FREE! That’s just £10 to pay at your first group – a fabulous saving of £4.95!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
Find your nearest group