Beef and pork meatballs with penne and whole baby plum tomatoes in a spicy tomato sauce.
- 400g dried penne pasta (or other short pasta shapes)
- For the meatballs:
- 250g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
- 250g lean pork mince (5% fat or less)
- Half an onion, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- Half a teaspoon dried sage
- Half a teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Low calorie cooking spray
- For the sauce:
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 heaped tsp dried oregano
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- Half a red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 120g baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- First make the meatballs. Mix together the mince, onion, garlic, sage, paprika and seasoning with your hands. Form the mixture into 24 equal-sized balls.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Working in batches, fry the meatballs until browned and set aside (don't worry if they're not cooked through at this stage).
- To make the sauce, spray the frying pan with a little more low calorie cooking spray, turn the heat to medium and fry the onion for 10 minutes, adding a little water if it starts to stick.
- Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients (except the tomatoes and spinach), add 350ml of boiling water and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and cook for 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through and piping hot.
- Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes or until the spinach has wilted.
- Drain the pasta and mix through the meatballs and sauce, checking the seasoning before serving.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join by the 28th October and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5.00 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5! AND if you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our Comfort Collection cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
Find your nearest group