A French classic, steak au poivre - or pepper steak - is the perfect main course for a special meal. Watch our 'how to' recipe video.
- 400g potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1cm pieces
- Low calorie cooking spray
- A handful of fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped, plus some to garnish the potatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 x thick beef fillet steaks, all visible fat removed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small onion, cut into small cubes
- 400g button or chestnut mushrooms, roughly sliced
- 100ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp pink and green peppercorns in brine, drained
- 200g broccoli florets, to serve
- 4 tbsp fat-free natural fromage frais
- 25g quark
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Boil the potatoes for 10-12 minutes, then drain.
- Heat a large frying pan sprayed with low calorie cooking spray and stir-fry the potatoes over a high heat for 4-5 minutes, adding the rosemary for the last 30 seconds. Remove from the pan, cover and keep warm.
- Season the steaks, add to the pan in a single layer and cook over a high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until done to your liking. Place on a warmed plate, cover and keep warm.
- Wipe the pan with kitchen paper and spray it with low calorie cooking spray. Stir-fry the garlic, onion and mushrooms over a high heat for 4-5 minutes, then add the stock and peppercorns. Season and cook for a further 4-5 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli.
- Remove the mushrooms from the heat and stir in the fromage frais, soft cheese and parsley. Serve the steaks with the sauce, potatoes (garnished with some chopped rosemary) and broccoli.
Tip: If you're not keen on mushrooms, spinach makes a brilliant alternative. Just add the same weight of spinach and treat in the same way.
Video: Steak au poivre with sauteed potatoes and mushrooms
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay at your first group!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
Find your nearest group