Tuna, pasta and pesto salad
Packed lunch or summer supper, this tasty salad has all the wonderfully fresh flavours of pesto with just a fraction of the Syns.
- 225g dried seashell pasta shapes or any short-shaped pasta
- 150g French beans, trimmed
- 1 cucumber, cut into 1.5cm dice
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved and quartered
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 large gherkins, chopped
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 100g bottled roasted red peppers in brine, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 x 175g cans tuna steak in spring water, drained and flaked
for the pesto
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 50g fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 level tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 100g fat free natural fromage frais
- 100ml vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, adding the French beans for the last 4 minutes of cooking time. Drain and rinse under cool running water. Drain again and set aside.
- Meanwhile make the pesto by placing all the pesto ingredients in a food processor. Blend until well mixed and fairly smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and blend again briefly. Transfer to a bowl and season well.
- Place the cooked pasta and beans in a wide salad bowl and spoon over the pesto. Add all the remaining ingredients and toss to mix well. Check the seasoning and serve immediately.
Tip: A level tablespoon of shop-brought green pesto is 3½ Syns so the Syns can really add up when cooking with it. At just 1½ Syns this is a great low Syn alternative.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join before 21st January and get free membership and two free weeks when you buy a 12 week Countdown - saving £19.90!
Or pay weekly and get half-price membership - just £5 to join and £4.95 a week. That's £9.95 to pay at your first group - saving £5!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
Find your nearest group