Carrot and beetroot soup
The rich colour and satisfying flavour of this elegant soup make it a perfect winter warmer
1 hour 10 minutes
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 450g beetroot, peeled and diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tsp sweetener
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.8 litres hot vegetable stock
- Fat-free natural fromage frais, to serve
- A few fresh chives, some finely chopped, to serve
Spray a large non-stick saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the beetroot, carrots and onions and cook for 8-10 minutes or until slightly softened.
Add the sweetener, bay leaf and stock, turn the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour or until softened.
Discard the bay leaf and reserve a few beetroot dice for garnishing, then blitz the rest of the mixture with a stick blender until almost smooth.
Ladle the soup into bowls, add a dollop of fromage frais to each one and scatter over the reserved beetroot and the chives to serve.