A curry house classic, packed with marinated chicken and juicy peppers in an aromatic sauce
- 1 large bottled roasted red pepper in brine, drained
- 2 medium onions, 1 roughly chopped and 1 sliced
- 30g root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 small yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 tsp hot curry powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 230g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
- 700g skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 10g fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tsp sweetener (optional)
Put the roasted red pepper, roughly chopped onion, ginger and garlic in a food processor and whizz until puréed.
Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the sliced onion and the red and yellow peppers and fry for 5 minutes, adding a little water if needed.
Add the roasted pepper purée to the pan along with the curry powder, garam masala, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, stock cube and 350ml boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the chicken and simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Stir through the coriander, season to taste and add a little sweetener, if using. Serve hot with rice and your favourite vegetables.