Chilli con carne
This classic chilli con carne is a quick and easy recipe that’s bursting with fiery flavours
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 500g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 fresh chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 level tbsp tomato purée
- 300ml hot beef stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves, to serve
Spray a large saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and fry the onion gently over a low heat for 6-8 minutes, until softened and golden. Add the mince and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes.
Add the garlic, chillies and all the spices and continue frying for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the canned tomatoes, tomato purée and stock. Stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes, until the liquid is slightly reduced.
Season and stir in the drained kidney beans. Heat through gently for about 5 minutes.
Serve hot, sprinkled with the chopped coriander.