Sweet and sour chicken
Enjoy the flavours of sweet and sour chicken without the sticky heaviness of the restaurant version – it’s as quick as a takeaway too.
10-15 minutes, plus marinating
- 6 skinless and boneless chicken breast fillets, very thinly sliced
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce/tamari
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce/tamari
- 2 level tbsp sweetener
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 100ml passata
- Spring onion slivers and lime wedges, to garnish
Place the chicken in a shallow ceramic dish. Sprinkle over the spring onions and garlic, season well and pour over the light soy sauce. Toss to mix well, cover and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Add the chicken mixture and cook for 5-6 minutes, then add the dark soy sauce, sweetener, vinegar, paprika, five-spice powder and passata. Stir to mix well and bring the mixture to the boil.
Reduce the heat and cook gently for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with spring onion slivers and serve with lime wedges to squeeze over.