Sometimes you can't beat the delicious simplicity of an egg custard – we're sure your family will agree! It's low-Syn and perfect for a snack or a delicious pud.
- 4 medium eggs
- 600ml skimmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 level tbsp sweetener
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon, plus a little extra to decorate
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- Pinch of grated fresh nutmeg
- 200g mixed raspberries, blueberries and hulled and halved strawberries, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Whisk the eggs in a large mixing bowl until frothy.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk, vanilla, sweetener and half the cinnamon until almost boiling, then pour into the eggs in a slow drizzle, whisking continuously.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve into a large measuring jug. Stir in the orange juice and most of the zest, then divide the mixture between 4 ramekins and place on a baking tray. Sprinkle with nutmeg and bake for 50 minutes-1 hour, or until just set.
- Leave to cool, then chill for 3-4 hours. Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon and orange zest. Serve with the mixed berries.