This easy recipe is a brilliant way to avoid wasting sprouts and makes a deliciously Free light meal at the same time!
- low-calorie cooking spray
- ½ leek, thinly sliced
- 350g leftover boiled floury potatoes, such as King Edward, chopped into small chunks
- 175g leftover cooked Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 eggs*
- Spray a small non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a low heat. Add the leek, 1 tsp water and some seasoning, then cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until just soft.
- Put the boiled potatoes into a large bowl and crush them with the back of a fork. Mix in the sprouts and leek and season to taste.
- Shape the mixture into 4 cakes, each about 2.5cm thick, by pressing the mixture into an 8-9cm plain pastry cutter. Place them on a plate, cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Half-fill a large deep frying pan with water and bring to a gentle simmer. The water is ready for the eggs when you can see just a few bubbles rising from the base. Add the vinegar and a good pinch of salt.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the bauble and squeak cakes and fry for about 5 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, break the eggs one at a time into a ramekin or teacup and slide them into the bubbling water. Leave them to poach for 3 minutes, then lift them out with a slotted spoon and drain briefly on kitchen paper.
- Put the cakes on to warmed plates and top with the eggs. Sprinkle the eggs with a little seasoning and serve hot with your favourite vegetables or salad.
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join by the 15th December and get your FIRST WEEK FREE! That’s just £10 to pay at your first group – a fabulous saving of £4.95!
After that, bring a new member and get a week free.
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.