Just 1½ Syn for our version of this rich, slow-cooked French favourite!
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 100g back bacon rashers, all visible fat removed, chopped
- 400g small shallots
- 700g stewing beef, all visible fat removed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150ml red wine
- 425ml beef stock
- 1 level tbsp tomato purée
- A sprig of fresh rosemary
- A sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 700g swede, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 50ml vegetable stock
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- A small handful of fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas 4. Place a large frying pan sprayed with low calorie cooking spray over a medium heat. Add the bacon and shallots and fry for 3-4 minutes until starting to brown. Add the beef. Stir-fry for 5-7 minutes over a high heat until browned.
- Stir in the garlic, red wine, stock, tomato purée and herbs. Season, bring to the boil and then transfer to a casserole dish. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, boil the swede for 12-15 minutes until tender. Drain. Add the stock and nutmeg, then season and mash.
- Divide the bourguignon and mash between 4 plates, garnish with parsley and serve.
Tip: To freeze, follow steps 1 to 3. Allow the mash and bourguignon to cool. Put them in separate freezer-proof containers, cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat, defrost overnight in a cool place. Once thawed, transfer to the fridge. To cook, pour the bourguignon into a pan and bring to the boil, stirring. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring, until hot. Transfer the mash to a pan. Stir and cook over a low heat, adding a little extra vegetable stock if needed, for 5 minutes, or until hot. Follow step 4.
* Suitable for freezing
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5! After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
If you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our Eat More for Less cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
You'll find more delicious recipe and menu ideas at your local group, along with all the help you need to get started and reach your target weight.