Chunks of tender beef in a deliciously rich onion and balsamic vinegar gravy with carrot and swede mash.
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 750g very lean braising steak, visible fat removed, cut into 2½ cm cubes
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g peeled carrots, roughly chopped
- 500g peeled swede, roughly chopped
- Finely chopped fresh thyme leaves, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/Fan140°C/Gas 3
- Spray an ovenproof casserole pan with low calorie cooking spray and fry the red onions for 10 minutes until slightly caramelised, adding a little water if needed. Remove from the pan then spray the pan again with low calorie spray and brown the meat in batches.
- Meanwhile place the white onion and garlic in a food processor and whizz until finely chopped.
- Stir the cooked red onions back into the meat with the puréed onion and garlic, stock cube, tomato purée, balsamic vinegar and 500ml of water. Season and bring to the boil.
- Cover and cook in the oven for around 2 hours or until the meat is really tender.
- About 30 minutes before the meat is cooked, cook the carrots and swede in lightly salted boiling water for 25-30 minutes or until soft. Drain, mash together and season.
- Check the seasoning of the meat, scatter over the thyme and serve with the vegetable crush. Enjoy!
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay at your first group! After that bring a new member and get a week free.
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
Find your nearest group