These simple skewers, served with a crunchy salad, will really beef up your barbecue.
for the skewers:
- 6 tbsp dark soy sauce/tamari
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 level tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 level tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 800g lean beef steak, allvisible fat removed, cut into 12 thick strips (about 3 x 12cm)
- Chopped fresh coriander, to serve
for the salad:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
- Pinch of sweetener
- 2 apples, cored, sliced and cut into thin matchsticks
- 4 celery sticks, cut into thin matchsticks
- 4 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh mint
- Preheat your barbecue (or grill to hot).
- Mix the soy sauce, lime juice, peanut butter and sweet chilli sauce together in a wide bowl and season lightly.
- Add the beef strips to the mixture, toss to coat evenly and leave to marinate for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the salad. Mix the lemon juice, nam pla and sweetener in a bowl. Stir in the apple and celery so they are well coated in the dressing, then add the coriander and mint. Toss to mix well and set aside.
- Thread the beef strips onto 12 metal skewers and place on the barbecue (or under the grill). Cook for 3-4 minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the heat, sprinkle with the chopped coriander and serve 3 skewers per person with the salad.
Tip: The beef can be prepared in advance and marinated for up to 48 hours in an airtight container in the fridge before cooking.