Beef satay skewers with an apple and celery salad
These simple skewers served with a crunchy salad will really beef up your barbecue.
for the skewers:
- 6 tbsp dark soy sauce/ tamari
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 level tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 level tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 800g lean beef steak, all visible fat removed, cut into thick strips (about 3 x 12cm)
- Chopped coriander, to serve
for the salad:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
- A pinch of sweetener
- 2 apples, cored, sliced and cut into thin matchsticks
- 4 celery sticks, cut into thin matchsticks
- 4 tbsp roughly chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped mint
- Preheat the barbecue.
- Mix the soy sauce, lime juice, peanut butter and sweet chilli sauce together in a wide bowl and season well.
- Add the beef strips to the mixture, toss to coat evenly and leave to marinate for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the salad. Mix the lemon juice, nam pla and sweetener in a bowl. Stir in the apple and celery so they are well coated in the dressing, then add the coriander and mint. Toss to mix well and set aside.
- Thread the beef strips onto 12 metal skewers and place on the barbecue. Cook for 3-4 minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the heat, sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve with the salad.
Tip: The beef can be prepared in advance and marinated for up to 48 hours in an airtight container before cooking. The skewers can also be cooked under a preheated hot grill for 3-4 minutes each side.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5!
AND if you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our Eat More for Less cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
You'll find more delicious recipe and menu ideas at your local group, along with all the help you need to get started and reach your target weight.