For the ultimate comfort food on a cold night, you can’t beat a good stew – and our light dumplings steal the show!
- low calorie cooking spray
- 700g lean beef steak, visible fat removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 turnips or 1 swede, peeled and cut into chunks
- 600ml boiling beef stock
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
for the dumplings
- 50g plain flour
- 25g vegetable suet
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/Fan 140°C/Gas 3.
- Spray a large non-stick casserole pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the beef and stir-fry until browned. Add the garlic, onions, carrots, turnips or swede, stock and dried herbs. Season well, cover tightly and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, put the flour, suet and parsley in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and 2-3 tablespoons of cold water and mix well to make a soft dough. Season well and divide the dough into eight equal pieces. Shape each one into a ball and set aside.
- Lift the lid of the casserole and place the dumplings on top of the stew. Cook uncovered for a further 20-25 minutes.
- Spoon the stew and dumplings into warmed shallow bowls and serve with your favourite vegetables.