For the ultimate comfort food on a cold night, you can’t beat a good stew – and our light dumplings steal the show!
- low calorie cooking spray
- 700g lean beef steak, visible fat removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 turnips or 1 swede, peeled and cut into chunks
- 600ml boiling beef stock
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
for the dumplings
- 50g plain flour
- 25g vegetable suet
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/Fan 140°C/Gas 3.
- Spray a large non-stick casserole pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the beef and stir-fry until browned. Add the garlic, onions, carrots, turnips or swede, stock and dried herbs. Season well, cover tightly and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, put the flour, suet and parsley in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and 2-3 tablespoons of cold water and mix well to make a soft dough. Season well and divide the dough into eight equal pieces. Shape each one into a ball and set aside.
- Lift the lid of the casserole and place the dumplings on top of the stew. Cook uncovered for a further 20-25 minutes.
- Spoon the stew and dumplings into warmed shallow bowls and serve with your favourite vegetables.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5! After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
If you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our Eat More for Less cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
You'll find more delicious recipe and menu ideas at your local group, along with all the help you need to get started and reach your target weight.