Video: Caribbean pepperpot stew
A Jamaican classic - who says jerk seasoning is just for the barbecue?
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 400g stewing beef, all visible fat removed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 200g green beans, trimmed and halved
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp sweetener
- 200g passata with onions and garlic
- 200ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g dried long-grain rice
- A small handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, to garnish
- Place a medium, flameproof casserole dish sprayed with low calorie cooking spray over a high heat. Add the beef and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peppers, sweet potato, beans, garlic, jerk seasoning, wine vinegar, sweetener, passata, stock and Worcestershire sauce. Season and stir well. Turn the heat down, cover and cook for 1½ hours, or until the beef is meltingly tender.
- Cook the rice accordingly to the packet instructions, then drain well. Divide the stew and rice between two bowls, garnish with parsley and serve.
Tip: To serve 4 - increase the beef to 800g, add another red pepper and small sweet potato, increase the beans to 300g, add another garlic clove and double the amount of passata and stock. Bake for an extra 20-30 minutes, or until the beef is tender.
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay at your first group!
After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.