This simple chicken and mushroom pie recipe will be a huge hit with the whole family!
- 900g Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 85ml hot vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the filling:
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 4 baby leeks, finely chopped
- 4 back bacon rashers, visible fat removed, roughly chopped
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g baby button mushrooms
- 2 portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1 level tbsp chicken gravy granules
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- A small handful fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Drain, return to the pan and add the vegetable stock. Mash until smooth, then season and set aside.
- Lightly spray a large, non-stick pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 8-10 minutes each side, or until cooked through. Allow to cool slightly, then cut into large, bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Lightly spray a non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat. Add the leeks, bacon, spring onions, garlic and mushrooms and stir-fry for 6-8 minutes. Stir in the stock, gravy granules and mustard powder. Season, bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 5-6 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chicken chunks and tarragon. Divide the mixture between 4 individual pie dishes, or spoon into 1 medium-size dish. Top each pie with the mashed potato to form a 'lid' and brush with the beaten egg. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until bubbling and golden.