Seared strips of chicken with crunchy bamboo shoots and water chestnuts in a savoury black bean sauce.
- 25g fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Marmite
- 400g can or carton black beans, drained
- low calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 400ml boiling chicken stock
- 800g skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 5 spring onions, cut into 3cm lengths
- 225g can bamboo shoots, drained
- 225g can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- freshly ground black pepper
- Put the ginger, garlic, Marmite and half the black beans into a small food processor or blender and blend until fairly smooth, adding a little water if necessary.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes, adding a little water if needed. Stir in the black bean paste, soy sauce, 300ml stock and the remaining black beans and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, place a large non-stick wok over a high heat. Spray with low calorie cooking spray, add the chicken and cook for 6-7 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Spray the wok with more low calorie cooking spray, add the carrot, red pepper and a little water and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the spring onions, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and the black bean sauce to the wok along with the remaining stock, season with pepper and bring to a simmer. When the chicken is cooked through, serve hot with rice. Enjoy!
Tip: This dish is part of Slimming World's Food Range, available in Iceland stores