Some people claim this broth is a cure for the common cold and whether that’s true or not, it certainly tastes sensational!
- 800g chicken thighs and drumsticks, skinned
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots – 2 roughly chopped and 1 peeled and finely chopped
- 3 leeks – 2 roughly chopped and 1 finely sliced
- Small bunch of fresh parsley, stalks and leaves separated
- 1.2 litres boiling chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 75g dried pearl barley
- Put the chicken in a large pan and just cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over a high heat and skim off any scum from the top.
- Add the celery, onions, roughly chopped carrots and leeks, parsley stalks and stock. Season with pepper, turn the heat to low and simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook the pearl barley according to the packet instructions.
- Pick the meat off the chicken bones, roughly shred and keep warm.
- Strain the soup through a fine sieve, discarding anything left in the sieve. Return the soup to the pan, add the finely chopped carrot and sliced leek and cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir the shredded chicken and pearl barley into the soup, heat through and season to taste. Finely chop the parsley leaves and scatter over the soup to serve.
Tip: To skin a chicken drumstick, peel away a little skin from the thick end and pull it off over the bony end.
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay at your first group!
After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.