A tagine is a slow-cooked North African stew – this one offers a sensational blend of tastes, colours and aromas.
- Pinch of saffron
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 red onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 preserved lemons, halved (optional)
- Small handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Small handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 500ml hot chicken stock
- 200g passata
- Cooked plain couscous, to serve
- Put the saffron and 2 tablespoons of warm water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Spray a deep, non-stick, lidded frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides (you might need to do this in batches). Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan in a single layer. Mash the garlic with a teaspoon of salt and add to the pan along with the saffron water, ginger, cinnamon, sweet paprika, lemon juice and preserved lemons, if using. Add the parsley and half of the coriander and stir well.
- Arrange the chicken, sweet potatoes and squash on top. Pour the stock and passata into the pan and stir well, then cover tightly and simmer over a low heat for 45-50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Season to taste, scatter over the remaining coriander and serve hot with cooked plain couscous.
Tip: To save time, use two packs of prepared sweet potatoes and butternut squash instead of peeling and chopping them yourself.
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay at your first group!
After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.