A sweet sauce flavoured with dark soy sauce. Ideal with meat, fish or stir-fried veggies.
- low calorie cooking spray
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 small yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 3cm batons
- 25g root ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 250ml boiling vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sweetener (optional)
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, peppers and carrot and stir-fry for 10 minutes, adding a little water if needed.
- Stir in the ginger, garlic, tomato purée, five-spice powder, soy sauce, rice vinegar and stock, and gently boil for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Season to taste, add sweetener (if using) and serve hot with cooked meat, prawns or veg and your favourite noodles or rice. Enjoy!