A delicious soup that's warming and satisfying in equal measure.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.2 litres hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 700g potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large leek, trimmed and sliced lengthways, then shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g fat-free natural fromage frais
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives, to serve
- Place the onion in a large saucepan with the bay leaves and 150ml of the stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the potato and all but a few shreds of the leek. Pour in the remaining stock and season well. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes until tender.
- Discard the bay leaves and transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and return to the saucepan.
- Stir in the fromage frais and reheat gently without boiling. Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Ladle into warmed soup bowls, then sprinkle with black pepper, reserved shredded leek and chopped chives.