Our slimline version of this elegant Italian classic looks and tastes sublime.
- 2 medium egg yolks*
- 3 level tbsp sweetener
- A few drops vanilla essence
- 400g plain quark
- 12 sponge fingers
- 2 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 150g fat-free natural fromage frais
- 6 chocolate-coated coffee beans
- 2 level tsp cocoa powder
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of the sweetener together until thick and creamy. Add the vanilla essence and 2 tablespoons of quark and whisk in gently. Gradually whisk in the remaining quark to form a smooth cream.
- Break the sponge fingers in half and place them in a shallow dish. Mix the coffee and brandy together and drizzle over the sponge fingers, mixing them gently to coat in the liquid.
- Divide half of the sponge fingers between six small serving glasses, top with half of the quark mixture, then with the rest of the sponge fingers and a second layer of quark. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Sweeten the fromage frais with the remaining sweetener and spoon on top of each glass. Decorate with the chocolate-coated coffee beans and dust with cocoa before serving.
Tip: Pregnant women, the elderly, babies and toddlers are advised to choose eggs showing the British Lion stamp if eating raw or partially cooked eggs.