This hot and spicy soup is a great winter warmer.
- 700g parsnips
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder (or to taste)
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, tumeric, coriander and ginger
- 1.1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A dash of Tabasco and a pinch of cayenne pepper
- Dice the parsnips, chop the onions and crush the garlic. Fry the onion in a little low-calorie cooking spray until softened. Add the garlic and powdered spices and fry for a further 3 minutes, adding a little stock if the mixture becomes too dry.
- Add the parsnips and stock to the pan and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer gently for about 1 hour.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor, season well and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan, add a dash of Tabasco if you like it hot, reheat gently and serve garnished with a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Tip: Replace the parsnips with potatoes for a super easy store cupboard soup.