Turkey's most famous culinary export is traditionally eaten at the end of a night out, but our Syn-free version is a treat at any time of day.
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs or dried parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few iceberg lettuce leaves, shredded
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 large bottled gherkins in vinegar, drained and sliced
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Spray a large, heavy based non-stick saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a low heat. Add the onion and cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned.
- Transfer the onion to a food processor and add the garlic, beef, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, egg and dried mixed herbs. Season well and blend until fairly smooth. Turn out into a bowl.
- Spoon the mixture into a non-stick loaf tin (it should fill to a little over halfway up the tin) and pat down. Cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight if time permits.
- When you're ready to cook, preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Cover the loaf tin with foil and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and drain off any liquid, then return to the oven, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes. Leave the tin to rest for 12-15 minutes, then remove the doner meat and slice thinly.
- Divide the lettuce, red onion, tomatoes and gherkins between plates. Top with the sliced doner meat and serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Tip: Add 1 level tablespoon of chilli sauce to your kebab for just ½ Syn.