Video: Green curry chicken drumsticks
Give the ultimate picnic food a Thai twist with these spicy-coated chicken legs - great for a barbecue or picnic. As long as you remove all the skin and visible fat, this luscious finger food is totally Free!
- 8 large, skinless chicken drumsticks, visible fat removed
- 150g fat-free natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 5 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- 5 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- With a sharp knife, make a few cuts in the flesh of each drumstick.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend until fairly smooth. Transfer to a wide ceramic bowl and season to taste.
- Add the drumsticks to the marinade, rubbing the mixture well into the meat. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours, or overnight if you have time.
- Remove the drumsticks from the marinade, shaking off the excess. Cook them on the barbecue for 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked through.
(Alternatively, roast in a preheated oven at 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4 for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through). Serve warm or cold.
Tip: As well as adding flavour, marinades help to tenderise meat and keep it moist while cooking. Here are some great ideas for Free and low Syn marinades:
1) lemon or lime juice
2) soy sauce
3) honey (½ Syn per level tsp)
4) fat-free natural yogurt
5) ground and whole spices, fresh root ginger and chillies
6) fresh and dried herbs