Gnocchi are filling potato dumplings that go brilliantly with so many sauces. Here we’ve served them with a classic tomato sauce that the family will love.
- 800g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large handfuls of finely chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, parsley and chervil
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
For the tomato sauce
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Small handful of finely chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for
12-15 minutes, then drain well.
- Add the herbs, nutmeg and egg to the potatoes and mash well. Cool,
cover and chill for 30 minutes or overnight if you have time.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat your oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5.
- Make the sauce by putting the tomatoes, onion, garlic and basil in a
saucepan over a medium-high heat. Season to taste and bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to medium and cook for 6-8 minutes. Spread the mixture over the base of a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Shape the potato mixture into bite-sized balls and arrange them in
a single layer on top of the tomato mixture. Twist over a little black
pepper and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Serve hot with salad.
Tip: For a cheesy treat, sprinkle grated fresh Parmesan (or a vegetarian alternative) evenly over the gnocchi and put them under a medium grill for the last 5 minutes of the cooking time (2 level tablespoons Parmesan adds ½ Syn per serving).
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5! After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
If you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our Eat More for Less cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
You'll find more delicious recipe and menu ideas at your local group, along with all the help you need to get started and reach your target weight.