Gnocchi are filling potato dumplings that go brilliantly with so many sauces. Here we’ve served them with a classic tomato sauce that the family will love.
- 800g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large handfuls of finely chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, parsley and chervil
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
For the tomato sauce
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Small handful of finely chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for
12-15 minutes, then drain well.
- Add the herbs, nutmeg and egg to the potatoes and mash well. Cool,
cover and chill for 30 minutes or overnight if you have time.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat your oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5.
- Make the sauce by putting the tomatoes, onion, garlic and basil in a
saucepan over a medium-high heat. Season to taste and bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to medium and cook for 6-8 minutes. Spread the mixture over the base of a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Shape the potato mixture into bite-sized balls and arrange them in
a single layer on top of the tomato mixture. Twist over a little black
pepper and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Serve hot with salad.
Tip: For a cheesy treat, sprinkle grated fresh Parmesan (or a vegetarian alternative) evenly over the gnocchi and put them under a medium grill for the last 5 minutes of the cooking time (2 level tablespoons Parmesan adds ½ Syn per serving).
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay at your first group!
After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.