Herbed cheese and bacon soufflés
These show-stopper soufflés are light and fluffy with a delicious cheese-filled centre. Your guests will never believe the cloud-like creaminess is slimming-friendly!
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 100g lean bacon, all visible fat removed, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 8 spring onions, finely chopped
- 6 eggs, separated
- 6 tbsp each of finely chopped fresh chives and dill
- 100g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ¼ tsp English mustard powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas 4.
- Prepare a bain-marie by placing a roasting pan one-third full of warm water into the oven.
- Lightly spray the insides of six individual ramekins or one medium soufflé dish with low calorie cooking spray.
- Spray a frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and stir-fry the bacon, red chilli and spring onions for 6-8 minutes, then drain thoroughly in a metal sieve to get rid of any excess moisture and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile put the egg whites into a bowl and whisk until just stiff. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and add the bacon and spring onion mixture, chopped herbs and three-quarters of the cheese. Season with the mustard powder and some salt and pepper.
- Using a metal spoon, fold the egg whites into the egg yolk and bacon mixture. Spoon this into the ramekins, almost to the top, and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Place in the bain-marie and cook for around 20 minutes until risen and lightly set. Serve with a few mixed salad leaves.
Tip: These soufflés can be made in advance and heated up the next day. When you're ready to serve, preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6 and cook for about 5 minutes or until warmed through.