Bhunas are hot and fairly dry curries that get their intense flavour from the spices being fried separately.
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 700g lean lamb leg steaks, visible fat removed, cut into large chunks
- Chopped fresh mint leaves and sprigs, to serve
For the bhuna curry powder:
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chillies (or 2 tsp dried chilli flakes)
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Spray a large non-stick saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add the bay leaves and tomatoes and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the tomatoes have reduced to a thick paste.
- Meanwhile, put all the ingredients for the bhuna curry powder in a non-stick frying pan and dry-fry over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes or until aromatic. Grind them to a fine powder using a pestle and mortar (or a spice grinder if you have one).
- Add the bhuna powder to the onion and tomatoes and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, then add the lamb, season with salt and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Add 300ml water and bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1½ hours or until the lamb is meltingly tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover, increase the heat to high and cook for 20-25 minutes so that the sauce can thicken nicely.
- Scatter over the mint and serve hot with rice.
Tip: Instead of letting this curry simmer on the hob, transfer to an ovenproof dish and cook in an oven preheated to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3 for 2 hours.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5! After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
If you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our Eat More for Less cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
You'll find more delicious recipe and menu ideas at your local group, along with all the help you need to get started and reach your target weight.