Bhunas are hot and fairly dry curries that get their intense flavour from the spices being fried separately.
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 700g lean lamb leg steaks, visible fat removed, cut into large chunks
- Chopped fresh mint leaves and sprigs, to serve
For the bhuna curry powder:
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chillies (or 2 tsp dried chilli flakes)
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Spray a large non-stick saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add the bay leaves and tomatoes and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the tomatoes have reduced to a thick paste.
- Meanwhile, put all the ingredients for the bhuna curry powder in a non-stick frying pan and dry-fry over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes or until aromatic. Grind them to a fine powder using a pestle and mortar (or a spice grinder if you have one).
- Add the bhuna powder to the onion and tomatoes and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, then add the lamb, season with salt and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Add 300ml water and bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1½ hours or until the lamb is meltingly tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover, increase the heat to high and cook for 20-25 minutes so that the sauce can thicken nicely.
- Scatter over the mint and serve hot with rice.
Tip: Instead of letting this curry simmer on the hob, transfer to an ovenproof dish and cook in an oven preheated to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3 for 2 hours.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay at your first group! After that bring a new member and get a week free.
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
Find your nearest group