Luxury eggs florentine
This classic eggs Florentine is perfect for a laid-back breakfast, brunch or lunch.
- 4 large flat or Portobello mushrooms
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 250g baby spinach leaves
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1-2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices of lean ham, visible fat removed
- 8 thin slices tomato
- 1 tbsp crushed pink peppercorns
For the sauce:
- 8 tbsp fat-free natural fromage frais
- 25g reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Pinch of mustard powder
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 200ml hot vegetable stock
- Preheat your grill to medium-hot. Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and place gill-side up on a grill rack. Season lightly, spray with low-calorie cooking spray and cook under the grill for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place the spinach in a large pan with the lemon juice and cook for 2 minutes until wilted. Drain off any juice, season with the nutmeg and keep warm.
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Stir in the vinegar, reduce the heat to a very gentle simmer and carefully break the eggs into the water. Cover the pan and let the eggs poach over a very low heat for about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully transfer the eggs to a large bowl of cold water.
- While the eggs are cooking, make the sauce. Place the fromage frais in a bowl with the cheese, mustard powder and tarragon. Season to taste, add the stock and use an electric hand whisk to blend well.
- Transfer the sauce to a small saucepan and heat gently for 1-2 minutes until warm (don't let it boil or the fromage frais will curdle).
- Place a mushroom on each plate and add a slice of ham, 2 slices of tomato, some spinach and a poached egg. Divide the tarragon sauce over the top and serve sprinkled with the pink peppercorns.