Luxury eggs florentine
This classic eggs Florentine is perfect for a laid-back breakfast, brunch or lunch.
- 4 large flat or Portobello mushrooms
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 250g baby spinach leaves
- Juice of ½ lemon
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1-2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices of lean ham, visible fat removed
- 8 thin slices tomato
- 1 tbsp crushed pink peppercorns
For the sauce:
- 8 tbsp fat-free natural fromage frais
- 25g reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Pinch of mustard powder
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped tarragon
- 200ml hot vegetable stock
- Preheat your grill to medium-hot. Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and place gill-side up on a grill rack. Season well, lightly spray with low-calorie cooking spray and cook under the grill for 3-4 minutes on each side or until just cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place the spinach in a large pan with the lemon juice and cook for 2 minutes until wilted. Drain off any juice, season with the nutmeg and a little salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Stir in the vinegar, reduce the heat to a very gentle simmer and carefully break the eggs into the water. Cover the pan and let the eggs poach over a very low heat for about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully transfer the eggs to a large bowl of cold water.
- While the eggs are cooking, make the sauce. Place the fromage frais in a bowl with the cheese, mustard powder and tarragon. Season to taste, add the stock and, using an electric hand whisk, blend well.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and heat gently for 1-2 minutes until warm (don't let it boil or the fromage frais will curdle).
- Place a mushroom on each plate and cover with a slice of ham, two slices of tomato, some spinach and finally top with a poached egg. Spoon over the tarragon sauce and serve sprinkled with the pink peppercorns.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5! After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
If you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our Eat More for Less cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
You'll find more delicious recipe and menu ideas at your local group, along with all the help you need to get started and reach your target weight.