Wobbly jelly, fresh fruit and creamy custard plus the flavours of mulled wine make this a festive dessert.
- 8 sheets of leaf gelatine
- 11.5g sachet of sugar-free raspberry jelly crystals
- 1cm piece of root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 6 cardamom pods
- 100ml red wine, approx 13% vol
- 1 tsp sweetener
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 400g mixed berries, thawed if frozen
- 400g low fat custard from a can or carton
- 500g fat free natural fromage frais
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 level tsp edible gold and silver decorations
- Put the gelatine sheets into a bowl of cold water and leave for 10-12 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, stir the jelly crystals into 400ml of boiling water and set aside.
- Place a saucepan over a low heat and add the ginger, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, cardamom pods, red wine, sweetener and orange zest. Heat until hot but not boiling.
- Squeeze the excess water out of the gelatine sheets and put the sheets into a large bowl.
- Strain the wine mixture through a sieve on to the gelatine sheets then add the jelly mixture, stir well and leave to cool.
- Put the fruit into a large glass serving bowl and pour in enough of the cooled jelly mixture to come about two-thirds of the way up the side, leaving room for the custard and fromage frais (you can use any leftover jelly mixture to make individual jellies). Chill overnight.
- Spoon the custard over the jelly, then whisk together the fromage frais and vanilla and spoon on top. Scatter over the edible decorations to serve.