Italy is famous for meatballs and this easy recipe pairs pleasing nuggets of pork with a tempting roasted vegetable sauce. They're Free and very filling!
- 500g lean pork mince (5% fat or less)
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- Small handful of roughly chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- -for the vegetable sauce
- 2 courgettes, cut into chunks
- 2 red peppers, halved, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- Low calorie cooking spray
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp sweetener
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.
- First roast the vegetables to make the sauce. Put the courgettes, peppers, onions and garlic into a roasting tin and spray with low calorie cooking spray. Season to taste and roast for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, put the pork in a bowl with the dried thyme. Season well and, using your hands, shape the mixture into 24 meatballs. Chill them while the vegetables roast.
- Put the roasted vegetables in a food processor with the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, sweetener and 150ml of water. Blitz until smooth and check the seasoning.
- Pour the sauce into the same roasting tin you used for the vegetables and drop in the meatballs (without stirring them in yet). Roast for 20 minutes then stir the meatballs into the sauce.
- Garnish the meatballs with parsley and serve them with hot pasta or rice.
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay at your first group!
After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.