The firm-textured Desirées are ideal for making these potato pancakes.
- 800g Desirée potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 spring onions, very finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and very finely chopped
- A small handful of fresh dill, chopped
- 1 large British Lion egg, lightly beaten
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 450g vine cherry tomatoes
For the topping:
- 4 eggs
- 150g baby spinach leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas 5. Place the potatoes in a clean tea towel. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible, repeat with a fresh tea towel, then place in a mixing bowl and season.
- Add the spring onions, garlic, dill and egg. Combine all the ingredients using your hands and divide into four portions.
- Place a non-stick frying pan over a high heat and spray with low calorie cooking spray. Spoon one portion of potato mixture into the pan and press down with a spatula. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, then transfer to a large non-stick baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining three rösti portions, then cook all four in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
- Meanwhile, place the tomatoes on a baking tray, spray with low calorie cooking spray and roast for 10-12 minutes.
- Next, bring a large pan of water to a simmer and carefully break each egg into it. Poach over a low heat of 4-5 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and leave to drain on some kitchen paper.
- Spray a large, non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray. Add the spinach and garlic, then stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until the spinach is just wilted. Season well and remove from the heat.
- Place each rösti on a serving plate. Top with spinach, an egg and a sprinkling of black pepper, the serve with the vine tomatoes.