Quinoa has a lovely bite and a slightly nutty flavour that goes perfectly with salmon in this Free salad.
- 300g dried quinoa
- 1 tbsp chicken or vegetable liquid stock concentrate or 1 stock cube, crumbled
- 418g can salmon, drained
- 1 cucumber
- 1 bag of watercress, large stalks discarded and the rest coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 150g fat-free natural Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Put the quinoa in a sieve and rinse well under running cold water, rubbing the grains with your fingers. Tip into a medium-sized saucepan and add 600ml boiling water and the stock concentrate or cube. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the grains are tender (it’s done when the little curled strands pop out from the grains). Tip into a large mixing bowl, fluff up the grains with a fork and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, tip the salmon on to a plate and carefully remove and discard any skin and bones. Break the fish into small chunks.
- Cut the cucumber in half. Halve 1 piece lengthways, scoop out and discard the seeds with a teaspoon and finely dice the flesh. Coarsely grate the other half, wrap it up in a clean tea towel or cloth and squeeze out any excess water.
- Stir the diced cucumber into the quinoa along with the watercress, chives, mint, lemon juice and some seasoning to taste. Gently stir in the salmon.
- For the tzatziki, put the yogurt in a bowl, stir in the garlic and grated cucumber and season to taste.
- Serve the salad with the tzatziki and lettuce leaves.