Enjoy a gastro-pub style dinner at home for a fraction of the Syns.
For the lamb shank:
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
- 10 celery stalks, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 lamb shanks, all visible fat removed
- 500g passata
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 100ml red wine
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 500ml chicken stock
For the mash:
- 700g floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper, peeled and roughly chopped
- 100ml boiling vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3. Put the carrots, celery, onions and garlic in a medium, deep, heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish. Add the lamb shanks; they should fit snugly.
- Mix the passata, tomato purée and red wine and pour into the casserole dish. Add the chopped rosemary and enough of the chicken stock to almost cover the lamb. Bring to the boil, cover and bake for 2-2½ hours, or until the lamb is tender – the meat should almost fall away
from the bone.
- Transfer the lamb and the vegetables to a heatproof bowl, cover and keep warm. Over a medium-high heat, reduce the cooking liquid for 25 minutes, or until thickened to form a sauce.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Drain, return to the pan, mash with the vegetable stock and season.
- Divide the lamb shanks, veg and mash between 4 shallow bowls and spoon over the hot sauce. Season, garnish with the rosemary sprigs and serve.
Tip: Why not make it in the slow cooker! Put the lamb in the slow cooker pot and tuck the carrots, celery, onions, garlic and rosemary around it. Put 350g passata, 3tbsp tomato purée, the red wine and 350ml chicken stock in a pan and bring to the boil. Pour over the lamb, press the veg beneath the stock, cover and cook on High for 5-7 hours. Pour the sauce into a pan and reduce as in step 3.
**Casserole is suitable for freezing**
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join by the 3rd November and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5.00 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5! After that, bring a new member and get a week free.
AND if you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our One for all cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.