A comforting Italian classic, packed with roasted courgette and asparagus and seasoned with basil.
- low calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 400g dried risotto rice, such as arborio
- 1.5 litres boiling vegetable stock
- 100g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 large courgette, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 100g asparagus tips, cut into 3cm pieces
- 200g frozen peas
- 30g baby leaf spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Spray a large deep non-stick pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 10 minutes, adding a little water if it starts to stick.
- Stir in the garlic, oregano and rice then add the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring occasionally and allowing each batch to be absorbed before you add more. Cook for 15 minutes then stir in the broccoli, courgette and asparagus and continue adding the stock as before.
- After 5 minutes, stir in the frozen peas and spinach and cook until all the stock has been absorbed, the rice is al dente (or cooked to your liking) and the vegetables are tender. Add extra boiling stock or water if it’s needed.
- Stir through the herbs, season to taste and serve hot with lemon wedges and salad. Enjoy!