Video: Roast turkey and stuffing balls
Push the boat out this Christmas with our sensational version of the season’s essential dish. Check out our recipe video.
- 4kg oven-ready turkey
- Small handful of finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 4 unwaxed lemons
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 garlic bulbs, unpeeled
- A small handful of sage leaves
- Bay leaves, to garnish
For the stuffing balls
- Small handful of chopped fresh sage
- Small handful of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- Finely grated zest of ½ unwaxed lemon
- 350g lean pork mince (5% fat or less)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 lean bacon rashers, visible fat removed
- First make the stuffing ball mix. Put the chopped herbs, egg, lemon zest and pork in a bowl and season to taste. Using your fingers, mix the ingredients until well combined. Cover and chill for 3-4 hours (or overnight if time permits).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas 4.
- Calculate the cooking time of the turkey at 45 minutes per 1kg plus 20 minutes (so a 4kg bird would take 3 hours 20 minutes). Place the turkey in a non-stick roasting tin and sprinkle over the parsley and mixed herbs plus the zest and juice of two lemons. Season and spray with low calorie cooking spray. Halve the remaining lemons and stuff this into the turkey''s body cavity along with the onion, garlic, sage. Tie the legs together with kitchen string. Stuff the neck cavity with half of the stuffing mix.
- Cover with foil and roast in the oven, basting with the juices in the tin every hour or so. Increase the temperature to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6 and remove the foil for the final 30 minutes. Remove the turkey from the oven, cover with a ‘tent’ of foil and leave to rest for up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the stuffing balls. Divide the remaining stuffing ball mixture into 12 bite-sized balls. Halve each bacon rasher lengthways and use each piece to wrap up a stuffing ball. Place them seam side down in a non-stick roasting tin and roast in an oven preheated to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6 for 35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove the skin and any visible fat from the turkey and place the bird on a serving platter. Garnish with bay leaves and serve with the stuffing balls and all the trimmings!