This gorgeously gooey cake is packed with zesty orange flavours.
For the cake
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 4 eggs, separated
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 5 tbsp sweetener
- 2 tbsp finely grated orange zest and the juice of 2 oranges, plus orange segments to decorate
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
For the syrup
- Pared zest of 1 orange and 120ml of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 tbsp artificial sweetener
- 1 level tsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Line a 20cm loosebottomed
sandwich tin with non-stick baking parchment and spray with a little low calorie cooking spray.
- Put the egg yolks, sugar, sweetener and grated orange zest and juice in a bowl and whisk until thick and pale.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form then
fold into the egg yolk mixture. Sieve the flour and baking powder into
another bowl then tip into the eggs and stir in very gently. Spoon this mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cake has risen and is firm to the touch. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the syrup ingredients in a small saucepan over a high heat and bring to the boil, whisking constantly. When it starts to thicken, remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Decorate the cake with orange segments, drizzle over the sauce and
cut into slices to serve.