One of the world’s great rice dishes – it’s fusion food that’s also fantastically filling!
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, 1 green pepper and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped into chunks
- 2 courgettes, chopped into chunks
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, chopped into chunks
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp fresh parsley
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- Splash of tabasco
- 350g long grain rice, dried
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley, to serve
- Spray a large, deep non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Add the onion, garlic and chicken and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the pan and season well. Bring to
the boil then cover the pan and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes or until the stock is almost absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Serve scattered with parsley.
Tip: Jambalaya is also great with pork – use 500g extra-lean pork mince instead of the chicken.