Enjoy this comforting, autumnal soup that's completely Free!
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 4 parsnips, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 sticks of celery, diced
- 1 swede, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 3 pints boiling water
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6. Peel and chop the carrots and parsnips. Place them in an oven-proof dish, sprinkle the cumin over them. Spray with low calorie cooking spray and place in the oven for around 30 minutes.
- Wash and dice the onion and celery, then place them in a large pan sprayed with low calorie cooking spray.
- Whilst the celery and onions are sweating down, bring a kettle to the boil and dice the swede.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook until the onions start to go clear. Add the diced swede to the pan and mix well with the existing ingredients.
- Remove the carrots and parsnips from the oven and add to the pan along with the bay leaves.
- Make up the vegetable stock with 3 pints of boiling water and pour into the pan to cover the contents, also add the dried ginger, chilli powder and black pepper. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until all the contents are soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool a little before removing the bay leaves.
- Transfer the contents into a blender or use a hand blender in the pan. Add more chilli/ginger/black pepper, to taste. Add more water if necessary to thin the consistency to your liking - you may need to add another stock cube if you add quite a lot of water.
- Add a swirl of fat free fromage frais and freshly ground black pepper if desired.
Tip: If you don't mind adding a few Syns you can pour light runny honey (1 Syn per level tsp) over the carrots and parsnips before putting them in the oven.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5! After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
If you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our Eat More for Less cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
You'll find more delicious recipe and menu ideas at your local group, along with all the help you need to get started and reach your target weight.