Carbonara is traditionally high in Syns – our version is delicious and fits in perfectly with your weight loss plan.
- 300g dried rigatoni pasta
- 150g savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 175g smoked back bacon, visible fat removed, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 100g closed cup mushrooms thinly sliced
- 200g frozen peas, defrosted
- 2 medium tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 3 egg yolks
- 100g plain quark
- Mixed salad, to serve
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add pasta and boil for 9 minutes. Add the cabbage for the final 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dry-fry the bacon in a non-stick frying pan for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, chilli and mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes. Add the peas and tomatoes and cook for 1 minute to heat through.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks and quark together with some seasoning.
- Ladle some of the pasta cooking water into a cup, reserve and drain the pasta and cabbage. Place them back in the saucepan. Add the bacon and vegetable mixture and stir through. Remove from the heat and stir in the egg and quark mixture, adding 2-3 tbsp of the reserved cooking water to loosen the sauce a little. Serve immediately with the sweet and crunchy salad.
Tip: Don’t be afraid of using the green chilli in this recipe, it’s very mild and brings out the flavour of the ingredients without adding heat. Even children won’t notice it’s there.
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay at your first group!
After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.