Layers of melt-in-the-mouth beef and sweet, sticky onions...yours to enjoy and Syn free!
- 3 onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Low calorie cooking spray
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 350g beef steaks, all visible fat removed
- 4 slices wholemeal bread (from a small 400g loaf)
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 50g fat-free natural fromage frais
- Rocket leaves to serve
- Heat a frying pan sprayed with low calorie cooking spray and stir-fry the onions for 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for a further 15 minutes, until browned. Stir in the vinegar and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick griddle pan over a high heat, season the steaks and cook for 2 minutes on each side (for well-done steaks, cook for a further 2 minutes on each side). Remove from the pan, cover with foil and set aside to rest.
- Toast the bread. Mix together the mustard powder and 4 tsp water, then stir in the fromage frais. Spread onto two of the slices of toast and top with a few rocket leaves.
- Slice the steak, place over the rocket and top with the onions and remaining toast.