In this inventive recipe your leftover turkey can fly south to become a spicy and very satisfying North African-style soup!
- low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp harissa powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200g dried red lentils
- 1.5 litres boiling chicken stock
- 400g leftover skinless cooked turkey, chopped into small chunks
- 200g can chopped tomatoes
- juice of ½ lemon
- 100-150g baby leaf spinach (optional)
- 2 tbsp finely shredded fresh mint
- Spray a large non-stick saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a low heat. Add the onion, carrot, garlic and some seasoning then cover and cook for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Uncover and stir in the harissa powder, cumin and paprika. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant then stir in the tomato purée. Add the lentils and stock and bring to a simmer, then cover and cook gently for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in the turkey, tomatoes, lemon juice and spinach, if using. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the turkey has heated through and the spinach has wilted, if using. Check the seasoning and scatter over the mint to serve.
Tip: This is lovely served with a spoonful of fat-free natural Greek yogurt.
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join by the 15th December and get your FIRST WEEK FREE! That’s just £10 to pay at your first group – a fabulous saving of £4.95!
After that, bring a new member and get a week free.
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.