Video: Vegetarian christmas roast
Our delicious low-Syn dish is packed with flavour and has a sprinkling of pecans as a tribute to the old-fashioned nut roast!
- 75g dried brown basmati rice
- 65g dried Puy lentils
- low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 tsp chopped fresh herbs (eg parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage), plus chopped parsley to serve
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp Marmite or yeast extract
- ½ x 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 15g pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 level tbsp reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
For the tomato sauce
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary, plus sprigs to garnish
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans peeled cherry tomatoes in juice, juice reserved
- Put the rice, 150ml boiling water and a pinch of salt into a small saucepan over a high heat. Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook for 25 minutes, by which time all the water should have been absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave for 5 minutes, still covered. Uncover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the lentils into a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil over a high heat then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- At the same time, spray a non-stick saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a low heat. Add the onion, celery, herbs and some seasoning then stir, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until soft. Uncover, stir in the paprika and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the tomato purée and Marmite or yeast extract.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Spray a 450g loaf tin with low-calorie cooking spray and line with non-stick baking paper.
- Tip the cannellini beans into a mixing bowl and crush into a paste with a masher. Add the cooked vegetables, carrot and egg and mix well, then stir in the rice, lentils and some seasoning to taste. Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and lightly level the top. Sprinkle with the pecans and cheese and bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Spray a saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the rosemary and garlic then, when they start to sizzle, add the tomato juices from the cans and simmer, stirring now and then, until reduced and thickened. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and simmer for 2 minutes. Garnish with rosemary sprigs, season to taste and keep warm.
- Lift the roast out of the tin and leave it to sit for 5 minutes before slicing. Scatter over the parsley and serve hot with the tomato sauce and your favourite vegetables or side dishes
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join by the 15th December and get your FIRST WEEK FREE! That’s just £10 to pay at your first group – a fabulous saving of £4.95!
After that, bring a new member and get a week free.
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.