This delicious twist on the traditional trifle is sure to impress your guests - and it's only 5 Syns per serving!
- 175g kumquats, washed and thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp sweetener
- 2 tbsp whisky
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large oranges
- 6 sponge fingers, broken into bite-sized pieces
- 350g fat free natural fromage frais
- 25g plain chocolate
- Place the kumquats in a small saucepan with 4 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of sweetener. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 6-7 minutes until tender. Transfer to a small bowl, stir in the whisky and cinnamon and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the oranges. Using a vegetable peeler, pare off a few strips of rind from one orange, slice into thin strips and place in a small bowl of water. Chill and reserve for decoration.
- Grate the peel from the other orange until you have ½ teaspoon of rind and reserve this. Using a small sharp knife, slice the rind off both oranges, removing as much of the white pith as possible. Over a bowl, cut in between each segment and remove the portions of orange flesh and place in a bowl.
- Place the sponge finger pieces in the base of a glass serving bowl. Top with the orange segments and any juices. Cover and chill until required.
- Mix the fromage frais with the remaining sweetener and the reserved grated orange rind; cover and chill until required.
- To serve, spoon the kumquats and their juices onto the oranges and top with the fromage frais. Grate the plain chocolate over the top and decorate with the drained orange rind strips.