Whether you serve it as a festive dessert or a teatime treat, a Yule log is a wonderful thing to have in your kitchen over Christmas!
- 6 eggs, plus 2 yolks
- 85g caster sugar
- 60g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder, plus 2 tsp to dust
- 6 sheets of leaf gelatine
- 150ml skimmed milk
- 3-4 tbsp sweetener
- 1 level tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp coffee essence
- 2 tsp icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas 5.
- Put the six eggs and the sugar into a large mixing bowl and whisk until doubled in size.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa powder into the eggs and fold in.
- Line a 40cm x 30cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment, pour in the mixture and bake for around 10 minutes or until springy to the touch. Leave to cool slightly.
- While the sponge is still warm, turn it out on to a sheet of baking
parchment with a damp clean tea towel underneath and gently roll it up.
- Put the gelatine sheets in a bowl of cold water for 10-12 minutes or until soft.
- Put the milk into a saucepan over a medium heat and heat until hot but not boiling.
- Meanwhile, put the extra egg yolks into a bowl with the sweetener, cornflour and 150ml of water. Stir well and tip this mixture into the hot milk then heat gently until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Squeeze the excess liquid out of the gelatine sheets and add the sheets to the milk along with the coffee essence. Stir well, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Unroll the sponge and spread the mixture over it evenly. Roll up carefully and leave to set in the freezer for 3-4 hours or overnight if possible. Transfer to the fridge about an hour or two before you want to eat it.
- Dust with the extra cocoa powder and icing sugar and slice to serve.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5!
AND if you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our Eat More for Less cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
You'll find more delicious recipe and menu ideas at your local group, along with all the help you need to get started and reach your target weight.