Beef and bean chilli with rice
With just the right amount of heat, this Slimming World chilli is an easy one-pot dinner that the whole family can enjoy
1 hour 15 minutes
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 800g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 beef stock cube, crumbled
- 400g can red kidney beans in chilli sauce
- 400g can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 roasted red peppers in brine from a jar, drained and roughly chopped
- Large handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 375g dried long-grain rice, cooked, to serve
- Fat-free natural yogurt, to serve
- Pinch of smoked paprika, to serve
Spray a large, heavy-based non-stick pan with low-calorie cooking spray and put over a medium heat. Fry the onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes, then turn up the heat and brown the mince. Drain off any fat from the mince and return to the heat.
Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée, chilli flakes, cumin, coriander, cinnamon stick, Worcestershire sauce and stock cube, and season lightly. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 45-50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rich and thickened.
Stir in the kidney beans, mixed beans and pepper and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes more.
Divide the cooked rice and chilli between 4 wide bowls and garnish with coriander. Serve with the natural yogurt sprinkled with smoked paprika.