Slimming World’s stage-by-stage activity programme, Body Magic, complements our Food Optimising eating plan by helping members improve their overall health and wellbeing while aiding weight management.
The programme was developed in collaboration with government advisor Professor Ken Fox (Bristol University). It uses well established psychological and scientific principles of behaviour change to help slimmers find their own personal, enjoyable and sustainable ways of gradually increasing activity so that it becomes a regular part of their daily routine.
The unique programme is in line with Government recommendations, encouraging members to build up to at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity activity on five days of the week10, and is suitable for everyone regardless of weight or fitness level.
Steps to success
In group, members are encouraged to work towards Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum Body Magic awards, recording their actions on a FIT log (measuring Frequency, Intensity and Time).
The power of group sharing and support is used to inspire and encourage members in moving from a sedentary to an active lifestyle, no matter where their starting point.
Discussing activity in group helps members become more active and experience the benefits.
Encouraging behaviour change
Body Magic helps facilitate behaviour change towards becoming more active by:
- Helping take the threat out of activity by removing psychological barriers and redefining what counts as activity
- Building confidence and expertise
- Motivating members to commit to a plan
- Providing ideas and solutions to help members increase activity levels
- Developing personal ‘foot out of the door’ strategies
- Supporting members in turning new skills into a routine
- Celebrating when members reach new milestones
- Continuing to support members until active living becomes a lifestyle
A survey of over 1,000 Slimming World members highlights clear increases in activity levels.
Members report a number of benefits from participation in activity such as, having more energy (37% of respondents), enjoying exercise now (33%), improved shape and posture (31%), being more mobile in daily life (29%), improved mood (25%), being calmer and less stressed (25%) and being able to sleep better (22%).