A new year means a fresh start for our weight loss journeys – so a brand-new Slimming World recipe book couldn’t have come at a better time. And if you’re vegan, vegetarian or starting 2022 by doing the Veganuary challenge, our new cookbook will help you live la vegan loca in slimming style!
Slimming World’s Va Va Vegan cookbook is packed with plant-powered recipes, from takeout temptations like the bhaji burger below to filling favourites like our vegan carbonara – all Food Optimising friendly and guaranteed to deliver big results on the table as well as on the scales.
To give you a taster of what it’s like to live life on the veg, we’re sharing one of the delicious dishes from the recipe book – our nicely spiced bhaji burgers. Topped with crispy onions and a mango chutney ‘mayo’, these brilliant baps are the ideal solution when you fancy a burger and a curry.
Slimming World bhaji burgers
8½ Syns per serving (deduct 6 Syns if using the wholemeal roll as your Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice)
ready in 45 minutes
What you need:
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated
1 large carrot, grated
2cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
½-1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2 tsp mild curry powder*
50g gram flour (also known as chickpea flour)
zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lime
low-calorie cooking spray
4 x 60g wholemeal rolls, split
shredded lettuce, sliced cucumber, tomato and roasted red peppers in brine from a jar, to serve
For the sauce:
4 tbsp plain unsweetened soya yogurt with added calcium
1 level tbsp mango chutney
*Watch out for spice/seasoning blends that have added ingredients (like sugar, oil or starch). To protect your weight loss, count ½ Syn per level tsp/1½ Syns per level tbsp.
What you do:
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
2. Put one-quarter of the onion in a large bowl and add the sweet potato, carrot, ginger, chilli, curry powder, flour and lime zest. Add the lime juice and 1-2 tbsp cold water and mix well. You want the mixture to hold together when squished.
3. Squeeze the mixture into 4 large balls, then put them on a non-stick baking tray and flatten into patties. Spray with low-calorie cooking spray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and cooked through, turning them carefully halfway.
4. Meanwhile, put a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and cook the remaining onion with 3 tbsp cold water for 5 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Spread the onion out on a non-stick baking tray, spray with low-calorie cooking spray and bake below the burgers for 15-20 minutes or until crispy, stirring halfway.
5. To make the sauce, mix the soya yogurt with the chutney and divide between 4 small pots.
6. Fill the rolls with lettuce, cucumber, tomato, a bhaji burger, the crispy onions and the red pepper. Serve with Slimming World chips, salad and the mango ‘mayo’.
Where can I buy Slimming World recipe books?
Va Va Vegan is just one of the Slimming World recipe books in our gorgeous collection, available exclusively to members in their local groups or from the online member shop. Whether you’re looking for the perfect pasta dish, a comforting curry or a selection of everyday menus to help with your meal planning, you’ll find a cookbook to satisfy your taste buds and help you achieve your dream weight loss. Here are some of the others you’ll find in the Slimming World bookshop:
- Comfort Zone
- Ultimate Curry
- Free Food A to Z
- Passion for Pasta (and Noodles!)
- Take 5, Second Helpings
- Happy Days
MORE ON THE BLOG:
- Slimming World curry recipes
- Chicken and mushroom pies
- Pesto eggs – three ways
- Your five favourite Free Food recipes
- Everything you need to know about joining Slimming World
When you join Slimming World, you’ll also get access to more than 1,600 slimming-friendly When you join Slimming World, you’ll find a vibrant variety of vegan recipes (plus many more that can be easily adapted to your needs) on our website and app, in our fantastic collection of recipe books and in every issue of Slimming World Magazine – so you’ll have everything you need to achieve weight loss success without ever going hungry.