As much as I love a Valentine’s Day-themed feast, for me, February is all about pancakes. If you also go crazy for crêpes, you’ll be pleased to know that you can still enjoy your batter-based favourites and lose weight. We’re getting set for Shrove Tuesday with a simple step-by-step pancake recipe that fits perfectly into the Food Optimising plan.
Light, fluffy and totally tasty, these slimming-friendly pancakes will definitely hit the spot on Tuesday – or any day you fancy whipping up a sweet stack for breakfast. With this five-ingredient, five-step recipe, it’s easy to celebrate an on-plan Pancake Day with minimum fuss – and we’ve also got plenty of healthy topping ideas to help you get fully pancake prepped!
Slimming World pancake recipe
2 Syns per serving
ready in 25 mins, plus resting
What you need:
60g plain flour
75ml skimmed milk
3 large eggs
low-calorie cooking spray
What you do:
1. Put the flour, milk, eggs and 25ml water into a bowl.
2. Whisk until smooth and lump-free. Season with a pinch of salt, then put in the fridge to rest for half an hour.
3. Spray a 6in non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Pour one-sixth of the mixture into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. When bubbles start to form on the top of the batter, it’s ready to flip. Loosen the edges of the pancake, then flip it over (you can do this with a spatula, if you’re worried about getting your pancakes stuck on the ceiling!). Cook for a further minute.
5. Slide it out of the pan and keep warm while you cook the other 5 pancakes. Serve with your favourite Free toppings.
Healthy pancake toppings
While these crêpes are perfect paired with any topping you fancy, piling them high with plenty of Free Foods will help you see a fantastic result on the scales.
- A sprinkle of sweetener (1 level tbsp is ½ Syn) and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Plain quark mixed with vanilla essence and sliced strawberries.
- Raspberries, blackberries and blueberries with a blob of fat-free natural yogurt.
- Fat-free natural yogurt topped with chopped apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Colourful exotic fruit such as pineapple, passion fruit, mango, papaya and melon.
- Fat-free natural Greek yogurt topped with chopped fresh apricots, peaches and raspberries.